Police Officer’s Position on Custody

Custody order, Police

policeSometime back I was asked to give a Police Officer’s position when dealing with child custody issues. First as a officer we are told not to choose sides, sometimes its hard when you are talking about a child. We look at any and all current visitation orders on file with the courts. If no order is in effect then there’s really nothing legally that we as officer’s can do.

There must be some sort of custody/visitation order in affect for us to take any kind of action. We don’t like to get into the middle of family issues because of the sensitive nature of this topic. If there is a violation of the order then the parent involved can and should ask for assistance from his or her local department.

This way there a third party involved that can resolve and defuse and tense situations that may arise. Keep a diary of the events that happen so that when you return to court for any reason you have accurate records to use. I hope this helps some and answers questions that you may have. If there’s anything else I can do please let me know. Please keep in mind that every department is different and local policies differ.